The Berry Family of Central Texas

Home
Carol
Richard
Family
Skydive
Running
Travel
Relatives
Yearbook
Nostalgia
Then and Now
Archives



Weather Station

Ham Radio   Cars   Homebuilt Computer   Outdoor Kitchen   Tree Deck    Weather Station    Career

At Christmas 2011 I received an Oregon Scientific WMR100NA wireless weather station.  It monitors temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, all viewable on an LCD monitor.  But then a friend told me about the Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com/) - that presents maps on Web pages with data from thousands of personal weather stations.  I immediately went online with my data updating every few minutes.  My station's ID is KTXGEORG25. 

Some time during 2012 I noticed that my weather station would periodically disappear from the Weather Underground maps.  I posted a query on one of the weather forums and one of the members mentioned that the Web site would suspend reporting from a station that had readings fairly different from other nearby stations.  My temperature readings have always appeared to be a bit high (6-9 degrees) but I just lived with it that way.  When my station started disappearing from the Web site I decided to do something about it.  My investigations led me to building a Stevenson Shield for the temperature sensor.  Commercial Stevenson Shields are available for $100 or more, so I decided to build my own based on some other home-built versions I found on the Internet. 

I started with 6 10" pots from Walmart.  These pots come with a built-in saucer to collect water below the pot.  The saucer is fastened to the pot with plastic rivets, which are easily drilled out using a 5/16" drill bit.  This leaves 4 holes just perfect for inserting 1/4" threaded rod.  Further steps are noted below the photos. 



The 6 pots after removing the saucers.
 
...



One of the pots after drilling out the plastic rivets holding the saucer on. 
 



The 6 saucers with an initial coating of white gloss Krylon Fusion.  Note the large holes in 3 saucers to accommodate the wireless sensor, and a small hole in one saucer from which to hang the sensor. 
 
 

The base plate is a small plastic cutting board drilled for 18" long pieces of 1/4" threaded rod.  Use one of the saucers as the template for drilling the holes. 

 


Spacers 1 3/4" long were cut to stack the saucers, which are 2" deep.  This provides a nice overlap while allowing free air circulation. 

 
 



The tubing is 1/2" x 3/8" very inexpensive stuff from Home Depot.  Cut with a pair of tin snips. 

 



Each level requires 4 spacers. 

 
 



I used Krylon Fusion gloss white paint on the inside and outside of the saucers. 

 



I attached two 3-4" angle brackets to the bottom plate for later mounting, then started to stack the spacers and saucers. 
 
 

One set of spacers and one saucer stacked. 

 



Next set of spacers. 

 
 



Two more saucers, with holes for the sensor. 
 



This is the temperature and humidity sensor.  I wrapped aluminum wire around it to make a hook for hanging. 
 
 

I used aluminum wire to make a T-shaped hook and inserted it through the saucer with the small hole. 
 


This is the T-hook from underneath.  The sensor hangs on this hook.
 
 



The completed saucer stack with sensor inside. 
 




The Stevenson Shield mounted using the two angle brackets. 
 
 
 

The 1/4" nuts are stainless steel but I'm a bit uncertain about the durability of the zinc-plated threaded rods.  Since the batteries in the wireless sensor will have to be changed periodically, I may remove the nuts and replace them will nylon, or simply wrap a small aluminum wire around the rods in an crossing pattern to hold the saucers together.